Table of Contents
- Watch Out for These Houseplants Plants Toxic to Dogs
- Aloe Vera
- Sago Palm
- Bird of Paradise
- Jade Plant
- Houseplants Toxic to Dogs – The Wrap-up
Whether you have been living peacefully with your dog for years, or you’re just thinking about adding a furry friend to your household. It’s essential to know what houseplants are toxic to dogs before trying to have them live in harmony. It’s perfectly possible to have both a robust indoor houseplant collection while keeping your dog safe from any plants that can cause significant health problems. It simply requires a bit of research and preparation.
The easiest solution in most cases is to simply remove any houseplants toxic to dogs from your living space. If you decide to grow or keep houseplants, try to ensure they are out of reach from pets or in a pet-free room. It is also essential to be aware of any warning signs of sickness from your pup should they find their way into mischief.
If your dog appears to be experiencing any significant changes in behavior or seems sick, it is always best to consult your veterinarian. You may also contact the ASPCA’s Poison Control Center for immediate help if you ever think a toxic plant has been ingested. Some plants are more popular than others. This article will dive into the top 7 common houseplants toxic to dogs.
Watch Out for These Houseplants Plants Toxic to Dogs
Aloe Vera can be a beneficial medicinal plant for humans. It can affect dogs if they consume the wrong part. The gel inside of the Aloe plant can be applied topically to soothe burns, wounds, scrapes, and other minor injuries, just as you would humans. However, dogs are curious; they like to chew and lick things they shouldn’t, and if the Aloe plant is ingested, it will cause severe vomiting and diarrhea.
It is best to speak with your veterinarian before ever using Aloe topically to treat your pup’s skin conditions. When cutting open an Aloe leaf, you will want to scoop out just the clear gel in the center, taking care to avoid the surrounding yellow-colored juice. The leaves and yellow latex get parts are what is most toxic to dogs. Aloe gel or Aloe products can be highly beneficial and are excellent natural alternatives if your dog has problems like dry skin patches or bug bites but should be used with caution.
Cyclamens are colorful houseplants, also known as Persian violets. They are great for bringing a pop of brightness to your home, especially during cold winter months. Unfortunately, they are dangerous for Fido. The plant has what is known as triterpenoid saponins, the largest quantity of which are found in the root of the plant. If your dog tends to dig or rip plants out of its pot, this is one to stray away from.
Eating just the top flower part of the plants may cause stomach issues, such as diarrhea or vomiting. Yet, if your dog gets into the root of the plant, the symptoms can before more severe, including irregular heart rhythm, seizures, possibly leading to death.
Yes, these beloved holiday plants can be mildly toxic to your dog. That milky white sap that comes out of the plant can cause skin irritation, and if ingested, your canine might start drooling, vomiting, or having diarrhea. Eating the plant is usually only mildly toxic. So you may still choose to display the plant out of your dog’s reach.
Other popular holiday plants like holly and mistletoe are also toxic to dogs, be sure to check their nursery tags if you receive them as gifts. If you still want the festive look of poinsettias without posing a danger to your pets. You can always opt for a plastic version or look into other houseplants that bloom in the winter. During the holidays, it’s important to make sure other decorations like strings of lights or candles are also kept out of reach of animals.
A lot of beautiful leafy plants fall under the category of “philodendron. These low-maintenance plants contain calcium oxalate crystals which are not concentrated in one part of the plant. It is making the whole thing toxic. Check to see if any of your tropical, large-leafed plants are part of the philodendron family.
Ingesting the plant may lead to pain or swelling in the mouth, tongue, and lips, as well as vomiting or trouble swallowing. If you suspect your dog has ingested a significant part of the plant, the irritation is caused by the calcium oxalate crystals. It will harm their throat and into their GI tract.
In extreme cases, your dog might also be at risk of developing kidney or liver damage; it’s essential to monitor their symptoms and check in with your veterinarian if your dog seems to be feeling worse. Depending on how much of the plant was eaten, your vet might prescribe an antihistamine to ensure your dog’s airways are kept open.
All parts of this tropical plant can be poisonous to dogs, which contain the toxin cycasin. The tiny red seeds, which might look similar to crab apples, pose the most danger to dogs. Within just fifteen minutes of a dog eating the plant, they may show signs of drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea.
If your dog has eaten any part of the sago palm, they need to see a vet as soon as possible to make sure they don’t develop more severe, life-threatening symptoms. They will have more severe signs of poisoning in three days, such as seizures, tremors, or weakness, and may experience liver failure.
Bird of Paradise
This fun tropical plant is fun to have in your home. It has gorgeous blooms that grow into what looks like a bird. But the hydrocyanic acid in the plant is toxic if your dog bites into it. With symptoms appearing in your dog within just 20 minutes. If your pet starts showing labored breathing, is trembling, drooling excessively, or has trouble pooping, you should take them to the vet as soon as possible.
This plant is also toxic if ingested by humans, especially small children. If you have kids or grandchildren in your household, choosing another tropical plant for your home might be best.
This pretty plant, also known as a rubber plant, is excellent for beginners who don’t exactly have a green thumb. As a succulent, it can grow well on its own and retain moisture for a long time.
Unfortunately, it is mildly toxic to dogs, causing vomiting, slow heart rates, or becoming clumsy and having uncoordinated movements. Another more difficult-to-spot side effect of eating the plant is acting depressed.
If you notice your plant has some bites taken out of it, be sure to keep a close eye on your pet for any changes from their normal behavior. There are plenty of other succulents you can choose from that are safer to have around pets.
Houseplants Toxic to Dogs – The Wrap-up
While shopping, it’s best to research to make sure you’re not bringing in any houseplant toxic in your home. Some plants are also more toxic to cats than dogs and vice versa. Check out the guide listed above to ensure your home is safe for everyone.
There are a lot of non-toxic houseplants that are safe to have around your dogs. However, these few are highly recommended.
Nerve Plant: They are also called fittonia albivenis; they bear richly green leaves with white or pink veins, non-toxic to dogs. This houseplant flourishes in low light with mild watering.
Calathea: This is a popular plant used for indoor purposes because it looks great and is easy to care for. The plant is known for its wide, colorful, and green leaves, making them do well in low light. Calatheas are majorly found in the base of trees and are non-toxic to dogs.
Haworthia: They are small succulent plants that make glamorous houseplants. Haworthia plants form green leaves that are coated with white bands, giving them a unique appearance.
Dogs are highly attracted to plants such as Aloe vera, and they may go after it anytime they come in contact with them. There are safer options to this problem. The ideal way to prevent plant poisoning is by selecting only pet-friendly species for your garden and home.
Yes, they can live together with proper precautions. Consider a hanging basket or high shelf to keep the plant out of reach if you have beloved plants and pets in the same home.
If you presume your dog may have eaten a toxic plant, take them to the nearest veterinary hospital for immediate treatment.
Ingesting some toxic plants can cause your dog to experience undesirable symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, and more.