Are Poinsettias Poisonous?

The short answer is yes. Poinsettias can cause an upset stomach (like many houseplants do) not just for humans but for pets and livestock too. While there’s no proof they’re more dangerous than other plants, no one should ingest them. Look out for the following symptoms if you think your pet has consumed your Poinsettia:

  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Skin irritation

Wear gloves at all times when handling this plant; its sticky sap can cause dermatitis. Don’t let it come into contact with your eyes or mouth, and thoroughly wash your tools to get the liquid off. Leaving sap on your tools will cause them to become sticky.

GNRL Click & Grow
Scroll to Top